compiling OpenGL programs

What packages do I need to have installed to compile GL and GLE programs?
Right now, I'm running Debian 2.2 (potato), but with the XFree 4.1.0 debs
from people.debian.org/~cpbotha.  I have the packages xlibmesa3 and
xlibmesa-dev installed.  This seems as though it should be sufficient for
compiling programs that use OpenGL.

Anyway, I was trying to compile xscreensaver-3.33 (from the vanilla
source, not the Debian source package), and the configure script said that
it found the gl headers, but not the libraries.  So I had to explicitly
state the path to the libraries as a configure parameter, i.e.
"--with-gl=/usr".

Has anyone else dealt with anything like this?  Is this a problem with the
mesa package, or xscreensaver's configure script?  By the way, I did a
"locate libGL" and everywhere that a GL library lives (or a GL library
symlink), I have its corresponding directory listed in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Also, how do I get GLE support?  It doesn't appear that my system has any
kind of library on it with "GLE" in its name.  So I downloaded the
gle-3.0.5 source tarball, but again, it's another configure script that
can't find GL:

checking for glGetError in -lGL... no
configure: error: Cannot find required GL library

So... I'm not really sure what to do here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, Take a bow for the new revolution