Re: kernel versions

dman wrote:

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:54:17PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
(snip)

| What does pre17 mean as in 2.2.19pre17 ?

It means that is is release #17 of the pre-2.2.19 releases.  It is
like a beta/test release of the 2.2.19 kernel.  Kernel 2.2.19 is newer
(better) than 2.2.19pre17, however 2.2.19pre17 is newer (and should be
better) than 2.2.18.

Do the files at ftp.debian.org for stable 2.2 change minor versions periodically?

I see that I can D/L kernel-headers-2.2.19 in three flavors: vanilla, compact and idepci but kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17 is available only in compact and idepci. Is there a reason for no vanila 2.2.19pre17 ?

I can imagine upgrading to 2.2.19 as a simple solution here. However I want to understand GNU/Linux at a much deeper level and am willing to spend more time on the problem at hand to further my learning. Of course if get a clear reason to abandon 19pre17 I will do it.

I am also digging into the 24 page FSF configure script provided with the ltmodem-5.99b kit. Actually I have already the part of the script that reports the problem. I think will also learn that way why the install chokes and a work-around.

Where do you live?

Tucson, Arizona.

If it is near Rochester, NY (or if you want to pay
shipping) I could give you a real modem because I have a couple of
spares and win<device>s just plain suck.

I appreciate that and the price of a modem is not an issue. I will probably get a real modem soon anyway. I am just willing to spend a little more time on this problem. I have the computer experience to solve this. There are just so many little things about GNU/Linux that I don't know yet.

Thanks,

Paul