Re: building pine

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

>     Greetings.
>
>     While I prefer Mutt, my wife is a big fan of Pine, so I grabbed a copy of
> the source from the PINE homepage, but I'm having a problem getting through
> the imap client section of the code.
>
>     I've included the errors below, but I'm wondering if anyone has any
> information on the proper handling of PINE within Debian, as it's not "free"
> and thus is not packaged.
[snip error messages]

There is are debian source packages for pine in stable (4.21). The pine
license forbids the distribution of modified binaries so there are no deb
packages, so you have to build your own.

Just make sure your sources.list points to the standard deb-src for stable
and do

apt-get source -b pine

in some appropriate directory. This will only work if you do it as
root. If you want to do it as user you will have to do

apt-get source pine

Then cd to the directory created and do

dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -rfakeroot

I think this should work.

I think you can get more recent versions of pine from testing/unstable if
you want. (For example there is something called pine-tracker 4.33-4 in
unstable).

                         Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.