Re: Stop apt-get downloading same Packages.gz from different mirrors

* Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com> [010810 17:35]:
> > * Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com>
> > [010810 16:43]:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > I think it has to download the packages file from both
> > > sites in order to compare and see which has the newer
> > > packages available. Doesn't that make sense ?? If it
> > > gets the list from your close mirror and doesn't check
> > > the official site, you may always be a package-revision
> > > behind...
> > >

> > Wouldn't a checksum be enough?
>
> Doesn't a checksum just tell you it's *valid* or official
> package ?? I don't think it knows nor cares which is newer.
>
> Hall

I only want to know if the package *list* files of two mirrors are equal
or not. They are about 1.2 MB now and i do apt-get update at least once
a day. I just hate waiting the double time. As apt-get update skips
unchanged Packages.gz files already these checksums already have to exist.

Any new opinions?

Karsten

--
Karsten Heymann                      <karsten.heymann@gmx.de>