Re: Help with Permissions for vfat

Al Hawley <alhawley@commspeed.net> writes:

> I guess part of the question is answered: there is a way to enable
> rw access for the normal user.
>
> The unanswered part is how to mount the devices automatically for
> the normal user. Is that possible? AFAIR the Corel distribution did
> that.  I'm sure open to suggestions!

Look at the section on options for fat file-systems in the mount
manpage, specifically the umask option.  You might also want to use
the uid or gid options in combination with this.  For instance, the
options "gid=100,umask=002" will lead to the files being writable for
root and group <whatever-group-is-gid-100>.

--

Leonard Stiles <ljs@uk2.net>