Weird /errs?????? files (gnulpr/printtool/lpr-ppd/printfilters)

Hi all,

gnulpr         1.2       GNUlpr printing system.
gpr            0.4-3     GUI for lpr: print files and configure print
lpr-ppd        0.71-5    BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system
printfilters-p 2.02-7    filters from the GNUlpr printing system

This is reproducible on all my Debian unstable boxes.

I have upgraded to the latest printtool which uses the files above. I
was using lprng but printtool forced the change (it also forces the
installation of gs instead of gs-aladdin. I'm on a force-depends merry
go-round)

I get zero byte files in / named errs?????? (? is an alpha-numeric
character).

I get no error messages in /var/log/lpr.log
/var/log/lp-acct and /var/log/lp-errs are empty

Every time I print /tmp also gains another zero byte file such as:
printtmp.KtZajX

Anyone seen this or know how to fix it?

Many thanks,
Adam