xfstt kills emacs

I finally got around to using some truetype fonts, following the
directions in the truetype fonts under debian mini HOWTO.  Everything
worked fine (all the way through the fslsfonts business), and the truetype
fonts made Netscape look much prettier. Unfortunately though, they killed
emacs! The menu titles are displayed in a very tall, barcode font, making
them both illegible and take up half the screen. If I comment out the
FontPath "unix/:7101" line in XF86Config and restart X, emacs is fine, so
I'm pretty sure it's the truetype that's causing the problem.

Specifics:

Debian 2.2r3, kernel 2.2.17pre19 (compiled here)
Gnu Emacs 20.7.2

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA