Re: partitioning revisited

High,
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Keith O'Connell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just build a machine, and am ready to start putting the "stable"
> on it. This is the first time I have built one from scratch, and it has
> made me think in detail about what I am doing as I put it all together.
> Now as I am newish to Linux I thought you might indulge me her. On two
> other boxes I have here I have "potato" running fine, but as I think
> about it there may be a better set-up. To help me get to the enlightened
> approach could I pick the panel brains on the following?
>
> 1: I recently read that logical partitions were better than primary
> because of the size limits on the directories. I didn't quit understand
> this. On this laptop I have 4 primary partitions, with the 4th holding 4
> logical. Is this unwise? Should I just have one big logical partition?

dunno about this one

> 2: In my other machines I have 128 Mb memory, so I have had a 128 Mb
> swap file. In my new machine I have taken advantage of the low price and
> put 512 Mb in it. This set me thinking, and I cannot reconcile the
> following I have been told or read;
These are just rules of thumb. I think it is the following:

>         a: "With 512 Mb ram you don't need a swap file"
only if you are not a heavy user

>         b: "You must have a swap file 2x ram"
true, until c: comes true
>         c: "Over 128 Mb ram you must have a swap file of there same size"
true

>         d: "A swap file cannot be over 128 Mb"
afaik, it can be
>         e: "A swap file cannot be over 256 Mb"
afaik, it can be
>         f: "A swap file cannot be over 512 Mb"
afaik, it can be
>         g: "Swap files must be in multiple of 128 Mb"
I think it is wise that it is a multiple of your real memory. But, 1x ram
and 2x ram is a multiply (so it is not necesary to have a 128MB multiply)

>         h: "Swap files are an irrelevance on modern machines"
perhaps.

BTW: Mb means Megabit, is should be MB.

Hope this enlighten things a bit.

Greetz,