Re: Create install-CD from /var/cache/apt?

Hi,

I'm new to Debian as well (first install ten days ago) and I have exactly
the same requirements as you.  Maybe we can help each other...

apt-move has worked for me in this way:

- Set up a webserver on the machine where the apt-cache you want to create
a partial mirror is.

apt-get install apache

or if you want more security,

apt-get install apache-ssl

Make a directory which can be served by the webserver, like
/var/www/debian.

Set LOCALDIR in /etc/apt-move.conf:

LOCALDIR=/var/www/debian

You are now all set to start building your own partial Debian mirror.

For the first time, do

apt-move -v update

For subsequent times you can do

apt-move -v localupdate

The -v is just the usual verbose option, for peace of mind.

Now there are still a few things I'm unclear about myself:

1.  How does one add packages from the caches on machines other than the
one on which the mirror is?  The obvious answer is to sync
/var/cache/apt/archives from all machines to the mirror machine and run
apt-move on that one machine, but I haven't tried it yet; and I don't know
if there's a more "official" and/or more elegant way.

2.  How to get apt-move to include packages from more than one Debian dist
in the mirror?  I've only been successful with the stable dist. so far,
and we all know that before long we are bound to install some packages
from testing and unstable... ;-)

Happy (partial) mirroring,

George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,
tel:   +35 79 68 08 86                   Strovolos,
email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,
web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus