Re: Qt and Gnome both on system?

> Does this imply that you don't need GNOME or KDE in order to run programs
> that were "written for" one of those desktop environments?  For example,
> the GNOME terminal, or some other program that has 'gnome' in its title?
> How about Konqueror, or other "KDE" apps?  Can I run these programs with
> only GTK and QT installed?
>
> Stated another way, are there any programs that *require* any part of the
> GNOME or KDE desktop environments to be installed?

Yes, there are. Short version: a lot of these programs will require Gnome or
KDE to be *installed*, but few (if any) of them should require a Gnome or
KDE session to be *running*. And, as previously noted, there's no problem
with having both installed simultaneously.

In any event, all of these dependencies should be reflected in the
corresponding Debian package dependencies, so as long as you use Debian's
high-level package-management tools (e.g. apt), you don't have to worry
about whether the appropriate components are installed- they will be
automatically installed as needed.

> I ask because I've been running GNOME for a while.  But I don't really use
> any of the features it provides over a standalone window manager, so I
> don't see any reason to keep it.  I can free up some space and install QT
> for some KDE apps that I've been wanting to look into for a while :)

As said above, you'll probably need Gnome installed if you want to keep
running those apps, but hard disk space is cheap these days, and there are
probably better ways of freeing space.

--
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@hmc.edu