Re: FW: Careful. This is for information only.

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 02:08:57PM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > Has anyone asked the NatCops what they think of vermicidal and
> > antibiotic software? (i.e., has it come up before and elicited an
> > official response from any organisation)
>
> Late last month, news reports say that there was much discussion within
> FBI, etc. regarding what to do about CR and antiworms were dismissed on
> the basis that it would be sinking to the original author's level.

Ya, releasing more self-replicating code into the environment is
probably a bad idea, no better than biological warfare.

I'm thinking of an automated and distributed response system. The idea
is to identify infested machines, take increasingly intrusive measures
to notify the sysadmin of the problem, finally either cleaning the box
or disconnecting it from the 'net.  The course of action taken in the
last step would be determined on the basis of whether or not the owner
of the machine had opted-in to the auto-cleaning service.

Betcha it would `fly' in the corporate world if you charged
money for the cleaning service, and got rid of the notifications...

- Bruce