RE: Cameras for linux: the million $ question

On 07-Aug-2001 Victor wrote:
> I've a laptop with debian potato 2.2r3 and like to buy a digital
> camera to use with it and the Gimp.
>
> Any suggestion about cameras and their compatibility with debian?

Personally, I say forget OS support.  Buy a pcmcia card that will support the
removable media of your camera.  You then just pop the card in and it looks
like another harddrive in FAT format.  Copy, delete, whatever your files and be
done with it.  After you have the images copied over there are plenty of tools
to do things like photo books, galleries etc.

At least here in the U.S. the pcmcia card is very cheap, cost me like $10 for a
Compact Flash reader.  There are also adapters for Smart Media.  Even ones that
look like 3.5" Floppies.