Fwd: please read: very odd network traffic

urgh, and now with the attachment

Subject: please read: very odd network traffic
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:40:11 +0200
From: William Leese <wleese@europe.nl.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

I think my machine has been compromised though i'm not entirely sure.

I suddenly saw a reasonable amount of traffic when I wasn't going anything
that could generate it so I turned off all the net connection using
applications and still there was traffic.

Opened top to see if there was a process that wasn't terminated yet, nope..
that wasn't it.

Turned off networking.

Tried netstat -ap and found to my great dismay that inetd had started the ftp
service or atleast that port was available. I accidentally installed wu-ftp
awhile ago but i thought i had removed it.. oh well. So, commented it out and
restarted inetd.

no luck.. the moment i started the networking script there was traffic.

Turned off networking. But not before using Ethereal to capture a few
 packets.

I've added an attachment with the log, could someone take a look at it and
tell me what could be causing this.. it would seem like something (a worm or
virus) is scanning the network looking for (vulnerable?) computers.

I'll be keeping this computer off the net till i find out what it is.. only
briefly turning on networking to check my mail.

all help is greatly appreciated, i'm lost on this one.

William Leese