Re: default shell

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:49:08AM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> > pmcalpin@uoguelph.ca (pkm) writes:
> > >
> > > hey... how can I set my default shell (when I don't have root
> > > access)... I'm being forced to use csh but I want to use bash
>
> if you don't wanna have to also log out of your default shell,
> you can do something like this:
>
> 	% bash && exit
>
> then when you log out of your bash invocation, your csh instance
> will exit as well.

or simply do a

$ exec bash

This will *replace* the current shell (csh) instead of creating a new
process for the bash (fork + exec). You will benefit from saving a bit
of memory, especially if you do it many times in your 20+ terminals...

Cheers

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing ag

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --