Re: fixing a debian system: which RTFM to start?

Dear All:

Thanks for all replies. Unfortunately, I still have no
idea about which manual to read :-(.

Karsten M. Self wrote:

> ssh is good, but sometimes there's nothing like being there.

yes, ssh is available there.

> Why are you running named?

Although it is not a production system, I "feed" some
"primaries" from that host.

> Check /etc/fstab to see if you've got /dev/hda listed
> -- it should probably be /dev/hda[1234], or similar.
> Post your /etc/apt/sources.list?

I guess, the problem is not related with /etc/fstab or
sources.list. Apparently /etc/hda was used for CD-ROM
before, since there was a symlink in the /dev directory.
(I have deleted it).

The problem is somehow related to insmod? Part of
the system believes that it is still using a
2.0.36 kernel.

When I run "dselect|update" the message is:

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hda as a
       block device
       (may be `insmod driver'?)
update available list script returned error status 1.

"apt-get update":
fine

"apt-get upgrade":
Preparing to replace libhtml-parser-perl 3.22-1 (Using
libhtml-parser-perl 3.23-1_i386.deb)
/var/cache/apt/archive/modutils_2.4.6-3_i386.deb

There are only two entries in the sources.list,
debian.org and non-us to "main contrib non-free".

regards,

--[ORIGINAL POSTING]---------------------------------------
I am a lay debian user with minimum operating experience.
Would someone please inform me, which manual to read for
fixing a REMOTE debian system (i.e. ca. 10000 miles from my
place)?

First the good news:
- I can reboot the system (and login again into it)
- It is not a production system (so no worries for ruin it)

The Bad News is:
- many anomalies occurs, e.g. the "named" sometimes dies.
- not much information is available about the history of
  the system.
- When I try to "update" (in dselect) it complains that
 "mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hda as a
         block device"
  despite there are only /dev/sda, /dev/hdb, and /dev/hdc
  on the system.

The current kernel is 2.4.6 and /etc/apt/sources.list
points to woody (with commented potato).

May I know, what RTFM to start?

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
- Hi! How are you? I send you this in order to have advice