RE: dist upgrade potato to woody 2.2 to 2.4 kernel

What type of controller is the hard drive on at the moment?  It would
appear that nothing is available to read your root partition. I get this
everytime I forget to compile in my scsi drivers instead of making
modules, perhaps ide disk support is slightly lacking in your kernel.
What are you booting from partition wise?  Does your old kernel work?
--mike