Network card issue.

Hi,
I'm trying to install Debian 2.2.r3 for the first time on a Compaq Deskpro
EPK500.  I have managed to get most things working (in at least a basic
fashion) with the exception of the Ethernet card.  I can set the card to be
DCHP and if I do an ifconfig it has an address.  However that's where the
functionality ends.  A look in /var/messages has produced this message (as
well as some diagnostic stuff which says the card checksum is OK etc.):
eepro100.c
The PCI BIOS has not enabled this device!  Updating PCI command 0003 -> 0007
eth0: Invalid EEPROM checksum 0xff00, check settings before activating this
device.

Now I know the card is an Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 with management
capability.  I also checked that the card isn't busted by installing
Mandrake which happily goes on and detects the card.  It also sets up the
card which then works a treat.  My guess is that I should place some
initialisation parameters in the setup for the card but I'm not sure.  Has
anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Robert.

FT Knowledge - World Business Education