Re: Moving Directories

on Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 03:30:06PM +1000, Steven Farrier (webmaster@xke.com) wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2001 18:49:28 -0400
> dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:
>

> > Boot without mounting /usr.  Mount /usr somewhere else and 'mkdir
> > /usr'.  Then 'mv /other_mount/* /usr'.
>
> how do I boot without mounting /usr?   how do I mount /usr somewhere else.

Boot single user.  If /usr is mounted (I forget if all partitions are
mounted or not, I think they are), then umount it.  Assume that you're
mounting /dev/hda7 as /usr, and have several 'misc[0123456789]'
directories under /mnt, and have a new partition /dev/hdb2 that's going
to be the new /usr partition.

    $ umount /usr
    $ mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/misc1
    $ mkdir /usr
    $ mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb2 /usr

I'd strongly recommend you find and read a good text on GNU/Linux system
administration.