Re: Where can I fine "basedebs.tgz" file for Woody

On Sun, 05 Aug 2001, Stephen Jiang wrote:
> Hi, I have tried to install Woody via internet. When up
> to "Install the Base System" part, it asked an address
> so that it can get a "basedebs.tgz" or a "Release" file.
>
> So, I typed it as below:
> http://ftp.dists/testing/main/binary-i386/
> in fact, I have tried different sites but it does not work.

That installer is broken, it will not do what you want (unfortunately).

> Please tell me how to install Woody via internet correctly.

I've installed woody machines easily using the following procedure (typing
from memory, expect small mistakes):

1.   Install the base system using potato's boot disks; it does the network
     install rather well.
2.   Ask for "advanced" package configuration, but do nothing. Exit dselect.
2.1  apt-get update
2.2  apt-get dist-upgrade
3.   edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to woody; run apt-get update
3.1  apt-get install dpkg apt debconf
3.2  apt-get install perl5 mime-support
3.3  apt-get dist-update
4    dselect update
5    dselect, select packages you want, install. Or you could apt-get
     install tasksel, and use tasksel to select the packages you want.
     Or use any of the other apt frontends in woody (aptitude, deity-*).

2.1, 2.2, 3.1 and 3.2 seem to smooth the potato -> woody upgrade a lot.
Mime-support in installed in 3.2 because the postinst scripts of some
packages (like lynx) seem to work better if you have mime-support configured
before they run.

  Henrique Holschuh