Re: Linux on less than 8MByes of Memory

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:14:54AM +1000, Ian Perry wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have an old 486Sx dog which I want to use as a printserver.
| Potato recomments at least 12MBytes of memory to do an install from CD.
| Is it possible to install Potato on 8MBytes ?
| Do I need to create special boot floppies or is it not possible ?

The issue is that dpkg needs memory to keep track of dependencies and
unpack the archives.  I have a 486 with 8MB RAM and about 32MB swap.
It takes longer to unpack the archives than to download over a dial-up
connection.  You probably could install with less, but it will take a
LONG time.  The other issue with old machines is the BIOS can't handle
the CD drive very well so it may not be able to boot from the CDs
(mine can't).

I recommend putting the hard drive in a bigger (newer) machine and
doing the install on there, then putting the drive back in the 486 and
using it.

-D