Re: alien rpm trouble

on Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 11:36:51PM -0700, Robin Rowe (rower@movieeditor.com) wrote:
> Hi. I'm converting a commercial rpm using alien so I can install it in
> Debian (kernel 2.4.7). During the conversion alien reports warnings
> but does make a deb. When I go to load the installed program it loads
> the splash screen but eventually croaks, apparently because not all
> the shared libs were installed. Using ldd on the program I see I'm
> missing a bunch of shared libs.

Sounds like this is your problem.  Changing the package format isn't
going to populate your libraries.  Start digging through the vendors
docs to find out what libs, and what versions, you need.  You may be
able to get these through apt, or might have to fetch these
independently.

> When alien runs against the rpm it generates a bunch of warnings of
> this form:
>
>     "dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: format of lib_name.so is not recognized"

Not sure what this implies, but it suggests a level of cruftiness that's
not promising.