Re: slow nfs server

* Christopher S. Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu) spake thusly:
> Hi!
>
> I have a couple raid arrays (software raid, 2.4 kernel) that I've
> been exporting to a variety of other boxen where I work.  Now that
> more than a few machines have these mounted (> 10, < 25), NFS has
> become incredibly sluggish.  It's almost impossible to edit files on
> the imported filesystems because the writes hang for several seconds
> every so often interrupting my typing.

FWIW it happens here with SPARC Solaris 8 NFS server. I wouldn't call
it "incredibly sluggish" but every once in a while my workstation hangs
for a second or two on NFS writes.

>And remote logins on machines
> where my home directory is imported can take 5-10 seconds before the
> machine can set my home directory to the NFS mount.

Doesn't happen here.

> I've tried both the user space and kernel space nfs packages, and am
> currently exporting with these options:
>
>     (rw,root_squash,no_subtree_check)
>
> and mounting with these options:
>
>     rw,bg,hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
>
> (although I've also tried it without the rsize and wsize options)

You want to keep those [r|w]size options, they help.

> Any suggestions / other options?  Do I need to further tweak the
> kernel somehow, or change some network settings?

What sort of network is it? Ours is switched 100BT, but most workstations
are on 10MB/s (ancient wiring). The server is on 100FDX, and when I work
on another 100FDX'ed box there's no delay on NFS writes. So maybe you should
look at your hub, check link modes and all that.

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/descript/gpgkey.dmaziuk.ascii -- GnuPG 1.0.4 public key