Seiko CH5500S printer

Has anyone had any experience with a Seiko ColorPoint PS printer
(model CH5500S)?  I have one (it is old and I got it second-hand) but
it is refusing to work for me.  I have a Woody system and I am using
CUPS.  I grabbed the proper PPD file from a Win95 box (it was named
.SPD and was in MacOS-style ASCII format!) but the printer is refusing
to print.  I used to have it working in Win95, Win98 and RH6.1 (and
maybe 7.0 though I don't remember if I used it at all then).  At one
point it did refuse to print some things (the presentation slides I
needed).  It can print the internal test page, but whenever I send
something through the parallel port it says "Recieving Data", but
doesn't print anything.  Sometimes it goes back to a "ready" state and
other times it doesn't seem to realize it already got all the data.  I
tried submitting stuff through CUPS and also just cat-ing a PS file to
/dev/lp0.  I did change the parallel port to "Normal" in my BIOS
because I saw a web site that said this was needed but I didn't see
any difference.  (I'll try moving it to the 'doze box and see what it
does there later on)

TIA,
-D