Re: Network adapter seems ok, but doesn't work...

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:25:06PM +0200, Tor Arvid Lund wrote:
| Hi
|
| I am kind of a linux newbie, and I am having some trouble with my
| network adapter.
|
| It is a simple PCI card with a RealTek 8139 compatible chip, my
| network is a simple home network, (192.168.0.x) My Linux dist. is
| Debian 2.2.r3 with 2.4.5 kernel (I have 2.2.19-pre17 on backup too,
| if it matters...)
|
| If I got it right, it should be sufficient to invoke
|
| 'insmod rtl8139.o', and

With 2.2.x kernels that was the module name.  With the 2.4.x it is
"8139too".  Also, you just provide the module name to insmod (no ".o"
on it).  What does 'lsmod' tell you?

| 'ifconfig <myip> <mysubnetmask> up eth0'
|
| (or something, I cant remember exactly)
|
| Well... I get no errors doing this, and if i run ifconfig
| afterwards, the card shows up as if it should work perfectly.

Ok, somehow you must have the driver setup correctly then.  BTW you
can put all the information in /etc/interfaces then all you need to do
is 'ifup eth0'.

| But pinging someone has no effect. What am I doing wrong?

What does 'route' say?  Is there any route to the machine you are
trying to ping?  Does this machine have a direct interent connection
or is it on a network with an IP masquerading server?  If it is the
latter you need to have a default gateway set for the interface.  This
can be done in /etc/interfaces (see 'man interfaces').

HTH,
-D