Re: Bus mastering and dual port ethernet

On Friday 03 August 2001 11:41, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought an Intel PRO/100 S Dual Port Server adapter to put in my
> PC. (This is supported by Linux isn't it?) and chucked it in my PC, and
> got lovely stuff like this when I booted up:
>
> eth0: Invalid EEPROM checksum 0xffc0, check settings before activating
> this device!
> eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet at 0x5800, FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, IRQ
> 0.
> Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
> Board assembly ffffff-255, Physical connectors present: RJ45 BNC AUI MII
> Primary interface chip unknown-15 PHY #31.
> Secondary interface chip i82555.
> Self test failed, status ffffffff:
> Failure to initialize the i82557.
> Verify that the card is a bus-master capable slot.
> eth1: Invalid EEPROM checksum 0xffc0, check settings before activating
> this device!
> eth1: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet at 0x5820, FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, IRQ
> 0.
> Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
> Board assembly ffffff-255, Physical connectors present: RJ45 BNC AUI MII
> Primary interface chip unknown-15 PHY #31.
> Secondary interface chip i82555.
> Self test failed, status ffffffff:
> Failure to initialize the i82557.
> Verify that the card is a bus-master capable slot.
>
> The PC is an early Pentium 75, running kernel 2.2.14 with a kernel with
> Intel EtherExpress PRO support compiled in.
>
> Is it simply a case of my computer being too old, or am I doing something
> wrong?
>
> Andrew

One or two months ago, it happened same to me, and it was a card failure,
I mean, network card was wrong. It was attached to a Compaq computer, I
put another card (same model) and it was fine. Check if card is well
pluged to computer, otherwise I think you have to ask for another one.

José Manuel Pérez - Hispavista::Sistemas
P. Mikeletegi, 56 - 20009 Donostia - +34 943 448400
josemanuel.perez@hispavista.com - www.hispavista.com