Re: how to you reconfigure an already installed package?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 12:45:14PM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:01:33AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i'm surprised that dpkg doesn't have a --reconfigure option.
> >
> > how are we supposed to reconfigure an already installed package?  the only
> > way i can think of is to uninstall the package and reinstall it.
>
> dpkg-reconfigure perhaps?

A lot of people are confused about this. dpkg-reconfigure isn't strictly
the same as reconfiguring a package, not in the same sense as 'dpkg
--configure': it only works for packages that use debconf.

Admittedly, the packages that most people want to reconfigure are the
ones that ask questions via debconf, but there are still some that use
other mechanisms; look at exim, for instance. For those, you could try
'/var/lib/dpkg/info/<packagename>.postinst configure <packageversion>',
or look in that script in /var/lib/dpkg/info to find out what it does
(in the case of exim, it basically calls eximconfig).