Re: Ethernet

Hello,

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the help, that pretty much answers everything. One question,
> though-- How would I configure a third machine to use the same network? Also,
> is it possible for me to run a cat-5 cable from my computer to a hub, then a
> cable out from that to any number of machines (configured of course), and
> then connect and disconnect them as neccesary? For example, if I configure
> the 3 machines as 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, and 10.0.0.3, will Linux be okay with
> 10.0.0.3 vanishing suddenly if I disconnect my laptop, and still work if I
> reconnect it?

Just give it a personal ip, for example, 10.0.0.4, with gateway 10.0.0.1
(if 10.0.0.1 is your gateway). And you will need a hub anyway. A cross
over cable can only be used between two computers. You need a hub and just
connect every computer with an ordinary ethernet (cat5) cable to it. None
of the computers is going to complain when attaching or removing a
computer. You do not even have to reset it (even windoze does not need a
reset!). Only be careful with your gateway computer: if you disconnect
this, no computer on the network will be able to connect the internet of
course.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan