banning messages from console

[please cc me, I am not on the list]

Hi,

after an upgrade to Woody (kernel unchanged, syslog.conf unchanged),

several facilities log to the console now, including isdnutils, drivers,
apm and ipchains. Not all messages are logged, but eg DENY packets,
driver status messages when doing insmod or 'doing suspend/resume now'
stuff.

The only thing that kept popping up before was a message "apmd: Display
not set" or similar everytime I changed to X and back, which I commented
out in the sources.

The new behaviour is quite irritating when I try to read mail or browse
the web and have to type ^l every minute or so (just now again, btw :( )
to get the screen back to a sane display.

My syslog.conf looks quite reasonable to me, I don't remember changing
anything major from the original file. Leaving out the mail and
news part:

auth,authpriv.*                 /var/log/auth.log
*.*;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog
daemon.*                        -/var/log/daemon.log
kern.*                          -/var/log/kern.log
lpr.*                           -/var/log/lpr.log
mail.*                          /var/log/mail.log
user.*                          -/var/log/user.log
uucp.*                          -/var/log/uucp.log
*.=debug;\
        auth,authpriv.none;\
        news.none;mail.none     -/var/log/debug
*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
        auth,authpriv.none;\
        cron,daemon.none;\
        mail,news.none
	-/var/log/messages
daemon,mail.*;\
        news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
        *.=debug;*.=info;\
        *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty12
local2.*                -/var/log/ppp.log

Do I have to shut up my computer on kernel level, is my syslog.conf
wrong, or did I miss something else alltogether?

thanks,

Michael

--
"time to dist-upgrade those boxes