Re: Ethernet

Hello,

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, I'm setting up an Ethernet network with my laptop and some PCs. I have a
> couple of questions.
>
> 1. How do I (or where can I find out how to) set up the network, share an
> internet connection, and share files? I'd also like to have each machine
> assigned its own IP address, and find out what it is.
Network information can be found in the Ethernet-HOWTO,
Networking-Overview, NET3-4, IP-Masquerade. Before you can share
an internet connection, be sure that your ordinary network works. This is
how it works in a few words:

Machine A:
- modprobe ne	(replace ne with your network card driver)
- ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Machine B:
- modprobe ne	(replace ne with your network card driver)
- ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

etc. This is for all machines the same, only the IP addresses are
different. You can check if this works by pinging other hosts:
from A: ping 192.168.1.2
from B: ping 192.168.1.1

To share one internet connection, you need to set up a computer as a
gateway. Then configure for machines B, C, etc. A as gateway with:
- route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Then, on machine A do (if you have a 2.2 kernel):
ipchains -F forward
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 -j MASQ
ipchains -M -S 3600 0 0
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

This should work. Information about this can be found in various HOWTO's.

> 2. How do I (or where can I find out how to) set up the network to interface
> with Windows machines?

Practically the same way. Make sure that windoze has detected your
ethernet card. Then configure the network settings, select the properties
of TCP/IP->networkcard (or something alike) and fill in the
desired IP-adress, netmask and gateway and some nameservers (if you do not
know them, do a 'type /etc/resolv.conf' on your gateway machine). If win9x
reboot and wait forever, if win2k it will work right away.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan