Re: dselect is a liar

Colin Watson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 11:08:18AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > As a maintainer of several contrib packages that depend on XForms, I can
> > say that autobuilders _don't_ process contrib at all.  I've had to ask
> > admins to temporarily install libforms-dev so that I could build the
> > packages on non-i386 arches; some of them don't want to.  I've had to file
> > many bugs against ftp.debian.org to get old versions of non-i386 binary
> > packages deleted from the archive to let packages migrate to testing.  It a
> > big pain.  Maintaining a contrib package is more work than maintaining a
> > non-free one!  I don't recommend it.
> >
> > Hopefully, this will end soon.  XForms is _supposed_ to become free very
> > soon.  Then lyx will be in main too, and powerpc will be uptodate.
>
> Thank God. I have one XForms-dependent package too (not an important one
> by any stretch of the imagination, though), and had to do the same thing
> for various architectures. I was actually thinking about orphaning it in
> favour of somebody who had time to convert it to FLTK.

FLTK is C++ only.  Show stopper for me.

> Do you think it'll be free before optional packages freeze for woody?

I would think so.  The XForms author is busy with real life;
that's the main hurdle.  He had committed to this before and not
come through, but never with a public announcement like he did a
few weeks ago.

You can be sure I'll upload an XForms package for main as soon as
it does.

Peter