Re: dselect is a liar
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: dselect is a liar
- From: Bruce@plato.debian.org, McIntyre@plato.debian.org
- Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 18:45:38 +1000
- Message-id: <20010801184538.A26377@plato>
- Mail-followup-to: Bruce, McIntyre, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <20010719130439.J12557@mikef-linux.matchmail.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20010718003856.A2661@plato> <20010718135150.B19791@plato> <20010717210641.C28192@mikef-linux.matchmail.com> <20010719174538.A14919@plato> <20010719130439.J12557@mikef-linux.matchmail.com>
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 01:04:39PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 05:45:39PM +1000, email@example.com wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:06:41PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > > Add some deb lines that point to mirrors in the USA (or whatever other
> > > country that doesn't have trouble) to the bottom of
> > > your sources.list file.
> > >
> > > Some of the austrailian mirrors have been known to be out of sync with
> > > the rest of debian. This way, if they have old data, you'll get data
> > > from the USA, if the AU servers are in sync, you'll get it from there
> > > because apt prefers the servers at the top of the config file...
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > what, then, does deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian ... point to?
> > Is it resolved to an Australian server when it sees that I'm requesting files
> > from there?
> > Bruce.
> try http.us.debian.org instead to see if that helps. In general
> practice, I would avoid ftp.debian.org, as it is already busy enough.
Ok, at the moment I have tried these lines (not at the same time)
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/deban unstable main contrib non-free
after a fresh update each time, dselect is adamant that lyx is current at
version 1.1.4-3 which is older than the current stable version...
http://packages.debian.org/stable/text/lyx.htm advertises version 1.1.4-7
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/text/lyx.htm advertises 1.1.6fix3-1
Might this have something to do with either my architecture (powerpc) or my isp?