Modules gone after Kernel update to 2.4.7

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Kernel from 2.2.19 to 2.4.7.
Everything worked fine at the first glance. But when I
try using functins that are available vie kernel
modules, I get a message saying "xxx not supported by
kernel" (or something similar). A modprobe ends with a
mesage saying "Cannot find module xxx". However an
insmod with the exact path works flawlessly...

This looks like some missing paths to me. How and
where are these configurated?

Or could it be that there is some kerneld
configuration missing? When I compiled my kernel, I
realised that the kerneld-option does not exist any
more. It only say "loadable module support" which I
checked of course. Modutils is installed of course...

Thanks for your help!

Herbert