Re: ipchains rules: REJECT vs. DENY

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:14:20 PDT, "Karsten M. Self" writes:

>The benefits are twofold:
>
>  - For a two-stage scan, DENY gives the appearance of an unpopulated
>    IP, you're never hit by the second stage of the scan.
>
>  - For automated netblock sweeps, DENY causes the remote (scanning)
>    host to time out on each port.  In a netblock that's composed
>    largely of hosts with deny policies, a scan will take significantly
>    longer.  This means the black hat has to devote more resources
>    (time, hardware, both) to the scan.

I can only second that. I work for a company which, among other things,
 does security audits for customers. So, basically, we try to break into
 their networks/systems for a living ;-) or, at least, get as much
 information out of and about them as possible.

DENY´s make our life much more complicated,
- scans take longer
- less information is revealed

When configuring firewalls for customers, the default is to
- ACCEPT next to nothing
- REJECT some services (auth, ident)
- DENY everything

This is kind of a mantra amongst security engineers, time-proven and
 reliable.

Another good reason for DENY´s: why pay for the back-traffic for
 services which you don´t offer/advertise?

Btw, Karsten: rather than denying auth+ident, I find it much more
 appealing to just
inetd.conf:
auth stream tcp nowait nobody /bin/dd dd if=/dev/urandom bs=32 count=1
 send garbage, where one has the option ;-) . That´s against the
 traffic-reason above but the fun´s quite worth it.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- Ooh, how perverse!  Still, it'd be pretty cool for hack value...
-- - me about doing it the "obvious" way