Re: Dependency Problem - Kernel Image?

JakeCatfox  <JakeCatfox@aol.com> writes:
JCF> This is probably a stupid question, but: I'm trying to install
JCF> the driver for my Lucent 56k modem, but once I installed the
JCF> package, it told me I needed "kernel-image-2.4.5". I am running
JCF> kernel 2.4.5, and don't know what it means by kernel image. Can
JCF> anyone help? Thanks.

How did you install your kernel?  In particular, did you use
kernel-package, or the procedure documented in the kernel source tree?
Using kernel-package will generate a kernel-image-2.4.5 package, which
you can then install.  If you hand-built your kernel, you need to
hand-build any add-on modules as well.

The Right Way to build kernels and add-on modules in Debian would
appear to be:

(1) apt-get install kernel-package (module)-source
(2) Unpack /usr/src/*.tar.gz
(3) Acquire and unpack kernel source
(4) make *config in the kernel source tree
(5) make-kpkg --revision=custom.1 kernel_image
(6) make-kpkg modules_image
(7) Install all of the packages in the directory above the kernel
    source using 'dpkg --install'

	-- Abra Mitchell