Re: locales issues

Kurt Dresner wrote:

> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "english"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
>

> I get this message about umpteen billion times while updating and installing
> in dselect.  How can I remedy it?  I'm running Sid.

If you're running gdm, next time you log in, look on the Languages menu
(or Locales? I don't see it often enough to remember exactly) and choose
the C locale.

Or, if you want to keep "english", then go into /usr/lib/locale and add
a symlink:

   ln -s en_US english

which will force "english" to be synonymous with "en_US".

Alternatively, and perhaps a better solution, you might figure out how
to tell gdm to set the locale as "en_US" instead of "english".

I had this same problem a week or two back when gdm was upgraded in sid.
The symlink made "english" work for me without all those annoying
complaints from perl, but then I realized it was gdm that was causing
the problem, so I told it to use the "C" locale and now all is well.

Craig