Help with Japanese support

Hello,

I'm a sysadmin for an international group of scientists, and a
recent arrival from Japan was inquiring about the possibility of
reading and responding to Japanese encoded email with her Linux box.
I remember that at one point there was a Debian-JP group, and IIRC,
their packages were fully integrated into Debian.

Can someone give me some pointers on how what packages / configurations
are necessary to allow my user to communicate in Japanese, while
still leaving the majority of the system in English?

Thanks!

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley         930 Koyukuk Drive
System / Network Manager        University of Alaska Fairbanks

phone: 907-474-2689             fax: 907-474-2643
email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu    GNUPG and PGP2 keys at my web site
  web: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle