Upgrade to testing error "version GLIBC_2.2 not found"

Hi,
Can anyone please help with this problem:
I have tried upgrading from potato 2.2r2 to testing. Changed the source lines
to testing and first tried using dselect. After downloading 100+Mb of files it
stopped with an error. "perl: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.2' not found
(required by /lib/libdb.so.3)  E: Write error - write (32 broken pipe)
E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt
After looking back through the archives I tried:
apt-get dist-upgrade -f. (same errors) then I tried:
dpkg --configure -a , and I just get loads of dependency errors.

Any help greatly appreciated!
TIA

Wayne.