Re: strange PATH problems with root

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:15:56 +0200, Pascal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I run Debian Potato (Kernel 2.2.17) with Gnome and sawmill as Window
> Manager. I use the Gnome Display Manager for graphical loggin.
>
> Last week, I decide to uninstall gdm.
> Just after unsinstall, I discovered a (small) problem on my system when
> login into bash : the root's PATH is not set as it was before. The root PATH
> doesn't contain /sbin;/usr/sbin anymore.
> I took a look at the config file from gdm and saw that the PATH for root was
> correctly set in this file.
>
> I checked /etc/profile and /root/.bash_profile but the PATH isn't set in any
> of these file for root user.
> However, I can remenber that my system was running correctly before I
> decided to use gdm. So the right config files must have been overwriten or
> lost. I can't remenber if I've modified root's .bash_profile for example.
>
> So, here come my question :
> Could someone send me root's dot configuration file (.bash_profile at
> least).
> Is there a .profile for root just after a freshly install
>
> Or better, has someone been confronted to the same problem ?
> Is this due to gdm ?

You must have sash installed.  This can be tested by doing an "su" from
the command line.  If sash is installed, then root's login shell will not
include /sbin;/usr/sbin, but "su" will give root a proper shell including
/sbin;/usr/sbin  AFAIK, this feature is intended to be a last line of
defense against some rootkits and against hackers who are unaware of sash.
I believe that you can set a different password for the full featured root
shell, but I have been unable to make this work.  I'm not eleet 3n0ugh I
guess.  I'm going to be trying again when I add a new box (new toys, yay,
being employed isn't all that bad after all.) to my playground next week.

--
  Paul T Wright <paul@cvanet.com>

   And, strange to tell, among the Earthen Lot
   Some could articulate, while others not:
      And suddenly one more impatient cried --
   "Who is the Potter, pray, and who the Pot?"

            -- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam --