Re: nVidia users help needed

Hello,

I've installed the testing distribution on a new machine yesterday with a
GeForce2 MX card.

First, if you just install xserver-xfree86 and xserver-common you should be able
to run X with the default config file. In my case this works fine.

Then, if you want to modify your XF86Config-4 file, xf86cfg is located in the
package 'xbase-clients' (apt-get install xbase-clients).
On my computer, this program do not run in graphic mode. But with the option
'-textmode' it works fine.

Then, configure your X server as desired, and try to start X. In my case X
refused to start after I had selected NVidia GeForce card. If you are in the
same case, edit manually your XF86Config-4 file and in the section of your
NVIdia card replace "GeForce" by the real type of your card, ie "GeForce2 MX" in
my case.

After you should be able to start X.

Finally, if you want to try NVIDIA accelerated driver, go to nvidia homepage and
download the driver.
You should install some debian packages, ie :

apt-cache search nvidia

apt-get install nvidia-glx-src
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-src

But I've not tried this yet.