Re: Freeing up lost memory

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 04:48:05PM +1000, Damon Muller wrote:
> But still, all my precious RAM is nowhere to be seen:

> Mem:        513464     359332     154132          0       6332     131384
> -/+ buffers/cache:     221616     291848
> Swap:       264996       5192     259804

You misunderstand the output of the 'free' command.

RAM listed in the "free" column is RAM that is completely unused.  It is
wasted money.  You don't want it.  RAM under the "cached" column is RAM
that is not used by any application, but it is used by the kernel to
cache things like recently open files.  It keeps the file in memory so
it doesn't need to access the slow disk when an application next needs
the file.

So, there's no need to reclaim memory.  In fact, based on the output you
pasted above, you have more memory than you can use.

noah