Re: Freeing up lost memory

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 06:42:54PM +1000, Damon Muller wrote:
> Quoth Osamu Aoki,
> > On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 04:48:05PM +1000, Damon Muller wrote:
> > > Hi gang,
> > >
> > > I foolishly left Opera 5 overnight last night. It seems that it leaks
> > > memory like a sieve, as when I woke up this morning, I had only about
> > > 50M of my 512M of RAM free. This is after a reboot last night (installed
> > > 2.4.7-ac2), which pretty much nothing else running.
> >
> > Did you set lilo.conf right before reboot?
> >
> > append="mem=512M"
>
> Sorry, perhaps I was unclear.
>
> Linux sees the memory, but some unknown, unseen application seems to
> have gobbled it all up, and I want it back.

It was probably some jave script at some site you visited that ate your
memory up.  Sometimes after closing out the browser the process is still
going on.  Check with "ps ax | grep opera" and make sure opera is dead.
If not use "kill -12 pid" which probably won't work so "kill -9 pid" to
finish the job.

As to regaining your memory, a reboot should have killed the runaway
process.  One thing when using "free" to check your memory add the
"buffers/cache" section to your "free" section as that will be used by
programs if needed.

If adding the two columns in "free" still doesn't look right run "top"
and hit "shift + M".  Take a look at what's eating your resources.
hth,
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted