Re: kernel 2.4.7 doesn't work

On Sunday 29 July 2001 06:13, Tao Liu wrote:
> Yes! The problem is resolved!
> I am using 2.4.7 now.
> Thank you!
>
> But what does initrd mean?
> Is it new for 2.4?

Initial Ram Disk. It's been there for sometime as I needed it to get
ide-scsi emulation going for my cdburner back on Mandrake 6.0 (2.0.36 or
early 2.2). I *think* it's the equivalent of the debian root disk you use
on a floppy install after the rescue disk - but I could be way out on
this one ;-) It didn't seem to be required in later versions, and I don't
currently need one for 2.4.4-ac6 (I recompile for hardware support so I
don't use stock debian kernels).

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net / jamaro@firstlinux.net