Re: Linux Sources

on Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 10:44:56PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) (jhm@cistron.nl) wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 16:25:55 -0400, JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:
> > I downloaded a copy of the Linux 2.4.7 sources as a tar-gz file, and I
> > suppose I need to install them into /usr/src. However, the tar-gz's contents
> > are not at all indicative of that, and doing a make config just gives me a
> > bunch of questions to set up a kernel.
>
> It doesn't really matter where you extract the kernel sources. /usr/src is
> the traditional location, but /usr/src is under control of the package
> management system, so I wouldn't recommend it anymore. Personally, I use
> /usr/local/src.

The package management system will copy kernel sources (as a compressed
tarball) to /usr/src.  It won't populate subdirectories.  You have to
uncompress the archives manually.  For practical purposes, /usr/src is
_largely_ under local control.

Among the advantages of using /usr/src is that /usr/src/linux (usually a
symlink to the appropriate source version) is where things like kernel
headers (occasionally useful) are sought.

A sample /usr/src directory:

    config.1999.10.12
    config.20000417
    config.20000902
    config.20000902.old
    defconfig.19991021.b
    kernel-doc-2.2.14_custom.1.0_all.deb
    kernel-doc-2.2.17_1_all.deb
    kernel-headers-2.2.14_custom.1.0_i386.deb
    kernel-headers-2.2.17/
    kernel-headers-2.2.17_1_i386.deb
    kernel-image-2.2.14_custom.1.0_i386.deb
    kernel-image-2.2.17_1_i386.deb
    kernel-patches/
    kernel-source-2.2.14_custom.1.0_all.deb
    kernel-source-2.2.17/
    kernel-source-2.2.17_1_all.deb
    kernel-source-2.2.17.tar.bz2
    linux@
    lost+found/
    rpm/

and:

   lrwxrwxrwx [...] /usr/src/linux -> kernel-source-2.2.17

Cheers.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal