Re: Root/User Priveleges

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 03:09:26PM -0400, JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:
> How do I set priveleges for files/programs/commands for users? I'd like for
> my username to have close to root priveleges, so I can change system options,
> etc. I find that the "NEVER BE ROOT! NEVER BE ROOOOOTTTTT!!" philosophy is
> bit odd-- seeing as you have to SU to root to change system settings and
> there's just as much risk doing that.

The idea is that you do "su -" every time you need to do something as
root.  When you are done, you exit the root shell, so you cannot make
mistakes in it.

If you've set up the system right, you'll hardly ever need to be tweaking
aspects of the system.  Get used to having a truly stable system, that
behaves like you expect it to behave.  Every time you change something,
you lose a bit of that stability.

If you don't care about regularly making mistakes that cause your system
to need a clean reinstall, then do go ahead and use the root login always,
whether it is required or not.

Cheers,

Joost