Re: ALSA problems

Ross Boylan wrote:

> I recently upgraded to 2.4.6 kernel and alsa 0.9xxxbeta; I had
> previously been using 2.4.2 and (I think) alsa 0.5.

[...]

> 4) Some error message about alsactl or alsaconf scrolls by when I start
> the system.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is happening, or how to fix it?

Don't know what sound card you are using, but at least with the via686 (the
integrated sound card i'm using ) passing from 0.5 to 0.9 something changed in the
API and the old configuration (or better, the parameter passed to the driver with
the old configuration) caused an error and the driver don't worked.

If you can start sound manually with modprobe, probably there is something wrong
in your /etc/modutils file...

> By the way, alsaconf is still at v 0.5 (sid as well as woody), even
> though the drivers are at 0.9x.

Andrea