KDE panel configuration

I thought I'd give KDE2 a try (on woody). There are a couple of
annoyances I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

I've added some things to the panel that I can not find a way to
remove.  I believe these are the quick launch and the run applets.
The latter shows a drop down box with "Run Command" as the title over
it. How do I get rid of them?

1.  Right click produces no popup with an option to delete the item.
I can delete individual items within the quicklaunch panel, but not
the panel itself.

2. Configure panel | settings offers no control over the items in the
panel that I can see.  The applets pane has the applets greyed out at
the default ("Load startup config applets internal") setting.  I
changed to "Load only truested applets internally" which let me move
quicklauncher and krunapplet out of the left hand (trusted applets)
pane, but even in reboot this had no impact.

3.  I tried editing some of the files, including
~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc, both by deleting sections like
[Applet_3]
ConfigFile=krunappletrc
DesktopFile=krunapplet.desktop
FreeSpace=1
HeightForWidthHint=29
WidthForHeightHint=124

and also deleting entries from
[General]
Applets=KMenuButton_1,DesktopButton_1,URLButton_1,URLButton_2,URLButton_3,URLButton_4,URLButton_5,URLButton_6,URLButton_7,URLButton_8,URLButton_9,Applet_1,Applet_2,Applet_3,URLButton_10,Applet_4,Applet_5,Applet_6

No effect.  It looks as if these get rewritten on system shutdown or
startup.

4.  I have read several fine online manuals, but found nothing helpful.