Mouse Setup

Hi,

I am having problems getting X to start. During the XF86Config I hit return so hat the default /dev/mouse is set. However looking at /dev/ afterwards /dev/mouse doesn't exist; hence xstart fails with the message 'mouse not found'. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer with PS/2 lead, how do I configure it? Do I need to use MAKEDEV?

thanks for your help.

James.

p.s. please excuse my ignorance in these linux matters but I am new to it all and trying feel my way round.