ACPI vs. APM

Hello all,
I was hoping someone could help me out.  I'm running kernel 2.4.7 on a an
Ali MB w/ a P III chip.  The BIOS boot messages tell me that this board
uses ACPI as it's protocol, so I enabled that in the kernel, but it doesn't
power down the monitor properly.  I also have APM enabled, as that's where
the various options are.  I was under the impression that you could enable
both in the kernel and the correct one would load, depending on the
architecture.  Was I wrong, or is it just a matter of telling LILO which to
load?  If I have to recompile, I will, but I would really be happier with
some other solution.  If somebody could also clear up the whole ACPI vs.
APM thing (I know they are different methods of handling power by the
motherboard - I meant the kernel usage of them) I would also appreciate it.

Thanks, Steve