Re: Problem with interface eth0

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 23:05:15 +0200
heissu <heissu@teleline.es> wrote:

> I want a ethernet card (3Com). I have compiled the kernel to that
> ethernet card. I want configure the interface whith the ifconfig
> command.But when I do: # ifconfig eth0 numIP netmask numNETMASK up , the
> shell request:
>
> SIOCSIFADDR: Unknown device
> eth0: unknown interface
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: Unknown device
> eth0: unknown interface
>
> Can anyone help me?

Question: What model card are you using and what kernel? I had the same
problems with a 3Com 905C-TX because 3Com had done some hardware upgrades
and forgotten to document them clearly. This was fixed in kernel 2.2.18,
so if you have a 905C-TX and a potato system (that's 2.2.17, right?) you
might try upgrading your kernel.

Mart

--
'Quoth the mailserver: 554!'