Re: Open Source Statistical Packages?

on Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 12:30:10PM -0300, Henry Lebowzki (hzi@uol.com.br) wrote:
> Jens Scheidtmann wrote:
>
> > John Eggert <eggert@sympatico.ca> writes:
> >

> >> My normal occupation as a process engineer requires much DOE and
> >> SPC work. SAS and others cost tens of thousands of dollars and are
> >> not particularly user friendly.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions for open source? If not, how would I go about
> >> getting some people on a band wagon? I'm not a great programmer,
> >> but I'd be willing to help. (I'm practicing, but coding in C is not
> >> a one night learning experience :)).
> >

> > Look at www.r-project.org and there is a "pspp project" (spss)
> > somewhere out there.
> >
> > Have a look at sal.kachinatech.com
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Jens
>
> Hi-

<...>

> R is a very powerfull statistics package. You will be able to import
> your data from SAS, nothing will be lost.

> R is *the* prefered statistical software by staticians doing research.R
> implements the S language. Therefore, it is a "language and environment
> for statistical computing". This, of course, implies a learning curve,
> because implies learning to program in R. This, however, gives you more
> flexibility and power.

Bingos on this.  I'm a long-time SAS user myself, if you're looking for
raw stats power (think SAS/STAT, SAS/GRAPH, and SAS/IML), R is the
answer.  It's far more powerful and flexible to boot, though it's also a
tad arcane.  There's good documentation, both specific to R and for
S/S-Plus, on which it's based.

I'm one of the instigators behind a project to provide a vaguely
SAS-like capability.  It's likely to be based around Python, R, and one
or more database systems (mysql, postgres, berkleydb,...).  Point being
largely that there are scripting languages which can add the
capabilities provided by the SAS data step, for use in reporting vs.
just doing raw stats.  Ping me offline if you're interested in more
data.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!